So along with the rest of the nation I am at home , socially isolating, so I am rediscovering my joy of baking. Luckily I had all the ingredients in my store cupboard, so I could make a Souliscious cake.
Yesterday was the first day of Spring and one of the traditions at this time of year is to bake a cake and share it with friends, family and neighbours. I decided to make a ‘Porter cake’ and will share it with neighbours over the fence later.
Porter Cake Recipe
175g / 6oz Butter
450g / 1lb Mixed dried fruit
Juice and zest of 1 Orange
175g/6oz Muscovado Sugar
200ml/7fl oz porter or Guiness
1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
3 beaten Eggs
300g /10oz Plain Flour
2tsp Mixed spice
Top with Demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 150C / Gas 2 / Fan oven 130C.
- Butter and line a 20cm/ 8 inch round cake tin.
- Put the butter, dried fruit, orange zest and juice, sugar and porter in a large saucepan . Bring it to the boil , stirring until the butter has dissolved, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then stir in the Bicarbonate of Soda. The mixture will foam up so don’t worry.
- Stir the eggs into the pan. Sift in the flour and mixed spice and mix it up.
- Pour into the tin and pop it in the oven for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours
- When it is cooked, leave it to cool in the tin for 15 mins and sit and have a cup of tea
- Then turn it out and cool on the wire rack.
- Sprinkle with sugar and serve with friends.