At the beginning of the year did you promise yourself that this was the year you would lose the weight and get slimmer?
Have you fallen down as the year has gone on?
Are you wondering how everyone else seems to do it but you?
There are lots of reasons why people put on weight and ‘not knowing what is the right thing to eat’, is not one of them. The diet industry is worth millions and I should know I think I have contributed to their vast wealth. I have bought every book and app going and tried everything!
I have joined every slimming club, a number of times, but have fallen off the scales big time, after a couple of weeks then never go back. I then join a new club around the corner and every time hope this is going to work! I never remember the famous saying ‘If you always do what you always did you will always get what you always got’. And this year I have been no different, I kept hearing the call of Slimming world or Rosemary Conley, telling me this time it will be different. Why is that going to happen when I keep doing the same thing?
So where are we going wrong?
Well personally I think for me I forget to ‘keep it simple’. I buy the latest fad diet book and I am going to suddenly be cooking these amazing dinners daily. Really, when I already work full time, have a partner, family and a life to fit in. Just writing this I can start to see where I am going wrong. I am one of those people that set my expectations of myself and underestimate how much time I have FREE in my life.
I wondered how do the celeb’s and the women who make ‘Slimmer of the Year’ do it. Well ladies and gents, when I investigated this more deeply what I found was that they all had one thing in common, they had a simple diet. They had a simple plan that they followed. For example Lorraine Kelly lost two stone by just doing what we all know, cut down on bread, sweeties, cake and alcohol and by going to an aerobics class three times a week.
I don’t know about you but also over the years I have repeatedly joined the gym, with lots of good intentions only to fall by the wayside. What I have discovered over the last few months is to do exercise that makes me smile. Find one or two classes a week that you can commit and look forward to, then you will keep it up. Dawn French has lost seven stone just by cutting her portions and getting out walking. She kept it simple.
So that has been my plan of action over the last few months. I have been following a ‘ Keep It Simple Slimmer’, way of eating, after I had gathered the top tips from celeb’s and experts on diet and fitness.
Keep It Simple Slimmer Plan
- Keep your menu simple. Plan your food for the week ahead. That way when you have a busy day or class you want to go, you can make best use of the slow cooker or have simple to prepare meals.
- Make good use of your freezer. Cook extra and freeze it so when you don’t feel like cooking you have something all ready prepared.
- Cut out the sweets, chocolate, cakes, biscuits and alcohol as much as you can. One thing you might like to do is to think about how you see sugar packed goodies? Do you see them as a ‘Treat’? Is it to change your mindset from seeing them as a poison rather than a treat. Think about other ways you might ‘Treat’ yourself.
- Stop weighing yourself or weigh yourself once a month. This is a lifestyle change not a ‘diet’. You will know you are losing weight when you start to drop dress sizes.
- Get yourself another exercise buddy. Having someone to go will help you to get over the ‘can’t be bothered and no one will know but me’ days.
- Find more fun ways to exercise and schedule your exercise into your day. Are you a morning or evening exerciser? There are also some great DVD’s on the market that are great fun and you can do in the comfort of your own home.
- Drink more water! Try and drink at least 8 glasses a day. Keep a bottle with you at all times and keep it topped up.
- Eat mindfully. make mealtimes special and be mindful when you eat. Put your knife and fork down in between each mouthful, chew slowly and stop when you no longer feel hungry.
- Dress up, pamper and make the best of myself. Once the weight piles the temptation may be to take less care of yourself, especially if your esteem is connected to your weight. So out with the leggings and the big, baggy jumpers, as this just brings your mood down. So do what ever you need to ‘Feel Fabulous’
- Never buy another diet book or app for the rest of your life!
So remember to ‘Keep It Simple Slimmer’ and let me know how you are getting on.