‘ A smile makes you master yourself. When you smile you realise the wonder of the smile.’
Thich Nhat Hanh
- Find yourself a really nice warm and cosy place where you feel safe and comfortable to sit
- Stretch out your arms and let a gentle smile come to your face.
- Come back to a relaxed seated posture or any other posture that feels right for you at this time and place.
- Close your eyes and hold the smile on your face. You might not feel like smiling but fake it for now.
- Focus on the in and out breathe and enjoy the feeling of it. Imagine as you breathe in breathing in the quality of happiness.
- As you breathe in you say to yourself: ‘Breathing in, I calm my body and mind’.
- As you breathe out you say to yourself: ‘Breathing out I smile’.
- Continue repeating for a few minutes.
- Keep going for a few minutes. It might feel fake and contrived or uncomfortable or it might feel great.
- Stop this exercise after about 5 or 10 minutes. Notice how you feel now compared to when you began.
This meditation can help to lighten your mood and raise your energy if you are feeling less positive. I practice this when I am struggling to raise my vibration or have had a tough day.